Riddley, Riddley Ree


Riddley, Riddley Ree, I see something you don't see. And the color(s) of it is(are): (list goes here).

My mom used to spend hours (it seemed like to me) with us kids playing this game. She'd pick an ornament on the tree and start the game. Sometimes the other kids would play for a while. I would keep playing and playing. I loved the game.

When I became a mom I would play this same game with my kids. I found it fun to continue the tradition and I found it useful to keep the kids entertained.

Of course with my kids we had to come up with rules. They pushed all kinds of boundaries. So there were rules like the lights don't count, the stand doesn't count, only the ornaments count, you can't switch which ornament you were thinking of just because someone guessed yours on the first try.

The only rule my mom ever had to use with us was if no one guessed it after a reasonable time, then you got to pick another ornament and do it again.

Mom seemed to have infinite patience with this game. She never set a time limit. If you got it in 2 minutes or 20 minutes, no matter. You could guess every cotton pickin' ornament on the tree first and she'd wait. She'd let you be the one to give up.

Not me. When I was the mom if the kids didn't get it within 5 minutes I'd give up and then just start again-but NOPE, I didn't tell them what ornament it had been. I'd just remember to use it again another time! I'm so mean!

Comments

Ruth Sarah said…
D sure had fun playing this with you last night!
Janele Williams said…
I always loved that game. We only have 12 ornaments on our tree this year, and almost no decorations out. I think we'll be waiting to play until we're at your house.

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream