Pride and or the lack thereof

It was one of those Sundays. You know. You go to Church, do your customary things, sit where you always sit (unless you're running late and there are visitors and they don't know your spot). One of those days.

My Dove and I get to Church. He sits on 'our' pew. I'm in the library for those who come early to get copies, pictures, chalk & eraser (those who prepare well ahead of time). Five minutes before the meeting begins, I go to the chapel. I ALWAYS get the outside/aisle seat since I leave at the beginning of the closing song. Gives me a minute to unlock the library, make sure the copier is warmed up and ready to go, etc. I come in to sit down and WHAT???!!! Dove stands up and let's me in-he thinks he needs the outside seat this week? So I state, "Giving the opening prayer, eh?" He, "How'd you guess?!"

We have about two minutes before the meeting begins and in walks our grandson-old enough to pass the Sacrament-just a little on the autism spectrum and he is upset with himself because he forgot his tie.

All of a sudden Dove is up and on his knees removing his tie and putting it on his grandson. Who then marches up to sit with the Deacons. After the opening song, Dove goes up to the pulpit to offer the opening prayer/invocation, tie-less. Blatantly big white shirt sans tie.

Is it pride that says you shouldn't do that? Was it pride for the ASD person to refuse to help pass the Sacrament without a tie?

I guess it doesn't matter what any of us thinks. I suspect that it was the right thing for our grandson to do (allow grandpa to let him use his tie) and I suspect it was the right thing for Dove to do-let his tie be used even though that meant he wouldn't be wearing one when he was offering the prayer.

Lightning did not strike the building so I guess it was okay with God. I doubt lightening would have struck the building if Dove hadn't shared his tie.

I was proud of my grandson for respecting the standards of the Church for Deacons passing the Holy Sacrament. I was proud of my Dove for the sacrifice he made. Wait... Why is it again men refer to their ties as nooses?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream