What is UP with THAT???

I know, I know. I'm complaining for no real reason. Let's say that's agreed upon and move on to my beef. Then I can get off my soap box.

I go to work. I work in a 'right to work' state. I have a body. I have needs. Who's responsibility is it to fulfill those personal needs?

I realize there are some personal needs of which the responsibilities for lie in gray areas. And then there are the other personal needs. I need to have breakfast. I need to blow my nose on occasion. So who's responsibility is it to provide me with food? Who's responsibility is it to provide me with tissues?




It is a nicety if the company I work for has boxes of tissues available for me. It is a nicety, a kindness if they allow me to use their equipment (blender, microwave, stove, pots, pans, etc.) to mix up, warm up, and/or cook my meal there. It is a nicety if they let me use their electricity and plug my Hot Logic in to slowly warm my lunch for the day. I don't believe it's their responsibility nor are they required to provide these amenities.

I first started working in a day when you ate your breakfast before you left home, brought your lunch with you and then returned home for dinner. If you had allergy issues or were catching a cold, you brought your hanky (handkerchief) and later as you had more disposable income, you would bring your own box of tissues to catch that nose that kept running!

Recently I received a request at work to use company funds to buy a new blender jar because the one that was in the lab had been used for work purposes (ground up plant matter for distillation) and made that person's smoothie taste funny-even though the blender jar had been well washed. It happens. It's a legitimate complaint. The blender jar is made of plastic, so it's porous and will retain remnant tastes and smells of anything pungent that was used in it.

People come repeatedly to get another box of tissue without a second thought. Kind of like it's expected that an employer or a company is responsible to provide it.

I have pondered on how society changes both for good and not. I think this is one of those areas where it's changing. I think too that it is very important to remember to feel and have gratitude for all the things. Man-made. Natural. Gifts. Ability to give gifts. All the things.

I started to become aware of this change or shift in societal-attitudes when I noticed, as an adult, what the road looks like underneath it when a construction crew tore it up in my neighborhood. I began to appreciate that I have none of the skills to create roads, much less to use the equipment used in creating roads. Same with a vehicle. I can't make a single part for a vehicle. I have no knowledge of how to do it and yet, miraculously I ride in one on nearly a daily basis.

Is it good that society is changing so much? I think it's good and inevitable. I think we need to remember to stop and think, stop and be aware, stop and express gratitude. For all the things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream