23 Nickels

We are on vacation. Yes, yes... there are those:
Where is...
I can't find...
I think we were supposed to turn back there...
I was sure I put it...
Are we there yet? (lots of those)
Are we lost?
I don't want to be lost.
We're on an adventure...

What exactly is the purpose behind a vacation?
I thought it was a combination of things like:
1) it was to re-create or rather refill your empty "me" with fun stuff-lots of it!
2) to see and learn about stuff you've always wanted to see and always wanted to learn about.
3) To visit family and sometimes be reminded of why you love them most when they're farther away and for some family it's the salve to a lament of wish we lived closer so we could help with little things like:
a) chores
b) errands
c) big things (like replacing the electric box and circuit breakers)

I guess I could complain that it just isn't fair while we're on vacation.
I guess I could say how dare she ask we spend our time on her stuff.
I guess I could be pouty and ask now how many hours is this going to 'steal' from our fun time?
I guess I could make others realize how many 'things' on our to do, to explore, to play list are getting 'bumped' off of it.

However...
That said, and if the truth be known... I've been feeling bad that we're not closer to help when help was needed. To do the simple things. Take her to appointments, do some weeding, help with painting a room, taking curtains down to be washed and putting them back up again. Mundane, true, but things that matter to making someone feel comfortable and happy in their home.

We were outside weeding. Babers came beside me and pulled one out and said, "Look Grandma!" "Yes. You got the roots too! I'll pay you one nickel for that weed." He continued pulling weeds and after a full 23 he said, that's enough work for today!' I told his mommy and she said, "He pulled weeds? He pulled more than one? He pulled 23!" Okay-now the cat is out of the bag-this kid can pull weeds and work for his keep!

There are weighting factors to consider before I get pouty and or huffy about spending part of our vacation taking care of mom. One factor is how many of our planned re-create activities are we giving up? and another is What will our children and grandchildren learn from our choices... our priorities... our actions?

Why is it Ruth so easily and quickly offers, 'I could change out the wall outlet while you have the power off for the main circuit breaker box.

I guess it all comes down to we're family. We're Crown's and it's what we do. We do it to show our love for each other and our appreciation for each other.

Oddly enough, by doing this we are showing Him how much we love Him-besides how much we love each other. Oh well. We're Crown's and it's what we do.

#1 The sun was beating down on his back the whole time.











#2 Dove got quite a sunburn in the four hours it would take to complete the job. Note: the sunburn was on his right side-nothing we did the remainder of the week balanced his sunburn! (though we did try!)

#3 Ruth was working so hard-fortunately she could take her task and work on it in the shade.










#4 Ruth also worked on changing out an outlet in the front room near the front door. Plugs would just fall out-she had noticed and ask we get a new outlet and volunteered to change it out.
#5 Finished product! Cooperation! Even the two boys played well, didn't wander far and it was a pleasant, very pleasant activity. Babers bragged about his money the rest of the trip-he was so proud of himself. I am so proud of my family. I have a right to be. I think Grandma Crown is proud of her family too!

Comments

Ruth Sarah said…
D sure worked hard too, with sanding the rust off of that cover! He'd done most of that sanding before I took it into the shade to touch it up before painting it grey. :)

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream