The Measure of a Man

I loved this song. It was sung by Brett Raymond and it gave me a tremendous sense of where young men need to center themselves. The whole tape (yes, I have a cassette) is great, but this song speaks volumes. I played it often when my boys were teens-as much for me as for them. My youngest son even sang it at a program once-ah heaven-maybe some of it was getting where I really wanted it to go!

The Measure of a Man comes from the album of the same name. It is by Clive Romney and friends. I have the hologram sticker that came with it. On the back of the jacket to the cassette case it says: "Though beautiful in any light, this holographic cover is most beautiful when viewed by the light of the sun. Life, likewise, is most beautiful when viewed by the light of the Son. Try it!"

Is it the width of your shoulders how tall you stand
Or how far you tip the scale
The size of your biceps the strength of your hands
Your prowess in games of skill

Is it the style of your hair, the way that you walk
Or the cool aloofness you pretend
Is that what I should be working for
Is that the measure of a man
Is it the name on the label on the clothes you wear
Or the price of your foreign car
Is it the size of the house you call your home
Or the number of trips abroad
Is it the crazed adulation of adoring crowds
Or the power that you command
Is that what will make my life complete
Is that the measure of a man
No all that is gone when you've used up your time
And all you will call your own
Is what you have written in heav'n and your heart
And what you've made of your soul
It's how closely your living resembles the life
Of the Healer from Galilee
Does the love in your heart begin to approach
The love of the Prince of Peace
Oh soon you will see Him face to face
And then you will understand
You can measure the world in a thousand ways
But only He is the measure of a man...

Comments

Mark C. said…
I remember this song from my teenage years in the 1980s. Thank you for posting the lyrics. I would love to hear the song again.

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream