Being a Close Family



One of the greatest lessons of life which I have learned is that I cannot and SHOULD not try to control my children or husband's lives. AND I know that it's important for us to stay close to one another-do things together, rejoice together, sorrow together, pray together, worship together and work together. That's how a family stays together.

So with kids scattered hither and yon how do I remain 'close' to them? How do I keep them in my heart and mind, in my prayers, in my realm of value and care? I go to the Temple. That's what binds our family together. The covenants we made as a family in the Temple. The covenants that my children were born into.

I have felt on many, many occasions that when I pray, Father listens and I have wondered many times why that is. Why is it I feel He really loves me? Why is it when I get a blessing one spoken phrase is in there every single time, "Father is pleased with you and your service." Why am I favored of the Lord? Why am I one of His favorites?

I think I have the answer.
"Therefore it is come to pass, that as he cried, and they would not hear; so they cried, and I would not hear, saith the LORD of hosts..." Zechariah 7:13 I have always come to understand this to mean if we listen to Him, turn to Him first-then He will listen and turn to us. In short, we need to put Him first. In tithes and offerings, attending Church, offering regular prayers (not good to be a stranger to Him), serving in callings (whatever they may be), Temple attendance, listening (relistening and reading) of Conference talks, etc.

I believe these thoughts and suppositions are accurate and this is why: "Wherefore the LORD God of Israel saith, I said indeed that thy house, and the house of thy father, should walk before me for ever: but now the LORD saith, Be it far from me; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed." 1 Samuel 2:30

Two final thoughts. "Circumstance does not make the man but reveals him to himself."

And from Marvin J. Ashton on 9/1/1991 "There is an urgency today for all of us to take time for God. Wise are those who will use God's ways now to insure his eternal companionship tomorrow. The time to become acquainted and know God is today. To achieve true abundance, life must be lived a day at a time in God's companionship.

"As we take time for God, we will become more like him. Robert Louis Stevenson once said, 'Saints are sinners who kept trying.'

"It was our Savior Jesus Christ who said, 'If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.' (John 8:31).

"The message is loud and clear. If we work, serve, and improve now, each hour, each day will lead us onward and upward to a significant tomorrow in his paths. Today is the time for decision. Now is the time for action and gratitude." And in Everything Give Thanks

I guess that's why when I graduated from college, I wanted to go to the Temple. When my son was stationed in Iraq and later in Afghanistan I wanted to go to the Temple. When my son signed up in the Navy, I wanted to go to the Temple. This is where I feel I am closest to my family-in the Temple, serving the Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream