That Would be Why

I've often asked myself, as I read and think upon the Book of Mormon, why? Why did the Nephites again and again fall into wickedness? Why did they have to have so many prophets coming and telling them the same thing over and over? Why did they believe it for a year or two and then fall away again? Why?

Answers have come to me that indicate their life was more challenging to exist-no modern conveniences-no easy money (credit cards)-no grocery/convenience stores... The cycle of pride-fall into wickedness-calamity of one sort or another (2" x 4")-listening to prophets/repentance-blessings of abundance-and then back to pride again. These all explain part of it. But what was really behind it all?

Your personal relationship with God. Not just the prophet to have one, but each individual. Each person must have that 'image' in their heads and hearts, that God the Father is the Father of their spirit-that He hears and answers their own personal prayers-that He lives-that He loves-that He feels (pain at my wrong choices, joy at my delight and gatitude for those things I recognize He as the gift giver has given me, joy). A personal testimony. Joseph's quote, "I teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves." That's where all of this ties together.

This would be Heaven-always in a state of blessings and plenty. That's the only way it will/can ever happen. When we stop thinking of I and me and start thinking of his/her/their needs and answer them. Does that mean you stop taking care of your personal hygiene? No. Your living space? No. But when you have enough stuff, say enough and then start listening to the Spirit tell you where to put those 'extra' resources.

To break the pride cycle, to be in the blessings and benefits area requires that personal relationship. IF you have that personal relationship, then you want to perform Christ-like services to and for others. You go about so busy trying to do good and be good you don't have time or inclination to think you're so much better than... (enter pride cycle).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream