Now I See...

I have always, as long as I remember, reached heavenward, pondered on my existence and its purpose and wanted to know-truly know God/Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ/His Son/Our Elder Brother and more recently, the Holy Ghost.



As a child and young free-to-think and wage-earning teen, I wanted a crucifix. I didn't want a Christopher-I wanted a crucifix. Strange, I know. But when I had seen them and asked others about them the only parts of speech I heard and understood was: obedience to Christ; Love of Christ; Worship of the living Christ; sacrificial gift of Christ.



So I bought one and wore it-relatively religiously.



(Sacrifice) + (in obedience) = blessings (temporal, spiritual, and eternal)



There was a returned missionary speaking in Sacrament meeting and had mentioned what some investigators would question having to 'give up' in Brazil where they start drinking coffee when they're just little tikes.



This set me to pondering and reflecting, hence this blog post.



It may be hard for converts to give up coffee, tea and alcohol, to 'sacrifice' 10% of their income but for me it was hardest to give up wearing a crucifix.



I have heard good and reasonable explanations for giving up all of the things required to qualify for baptism to join the LDS church, yet I've never felt satisified with the explanation to give up wearing a Crucifix.



A crucifix is an outward symbol of the inner vessel.



Now I see that my countenance is my "Crucifix" in that I cannot "forget" to wear it and I cannot "hide" it beneath a sweater.



Like jewelry my countenance/Crucifix can or will tarnish if I neglect reading my scriptures, saying my prayers, practicing obedience to the words of prophets and living as a Christian.



Now that I understand and have the answer to the 'why' of not wearing a crucifix, it is much easier to let it go and not wonder any longer.

Comments

Ruth Sarah said…
Interesting connection... totally makes sense... ;)

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream