Picture Perfect Post Stamp







Some people like the idea of having a picture perfect post stamp yard. Not only that, they expect their neighbors to have one too. 'Keeping up with the neighbors' is a thing of the past-you all have to have it perfectly equally perfect, aka the new status quo.

When I first heard about 'gated-communities' and then later about HOA (Home Owner Association neighborhoods) I had to think about it, pretty long and pretty hard. Right off I didn't like the concept. Largely because it sounds 'snootish' to me. Back to that kindergarten, 'You can join my club but he can't.' It also sounds clickish. True, true, birds of a feather do flock together (and they deserve each other-pot stirrers and finger pointers)-that's clickish enough, yes, yes. However, an HOA or gated-community appears to be an elite level of clicks and snoots.

Today as I pondered it deeper, two things happened. One I was reminded of a Montgomery Gentry song, "What Do You Think About That". The second thought was, 'but I voted for the other guy'.

Defining Montgomery Gentry's song is easiest so I'll do that first. Read the lyrics:


Heard it through the grapevine
My new neighbor don't like my big red barn
A '47 Ford, bullet holes in the door
Broke down motor in the front yard. HA!
I got half a mind to paint a plywood sign
And nail it up on a knotty pine tree
Saying I was here first
This is my piece of dirt
Your rambling don't rattle me.

Some people care about what other people think
Worry about what they say
Let a little gossip
Coming from a loose lip ruin a perfect day
Sayin', blah, blah, blah, just a jacking their jaws
Gotta let it roll off-a my back
I don't give a dern what other people think
What do ya think about that?

I wear what I want to, overalls, work boots
Crank my music up loud
Like to sling a little mud in my 4-wheel drive
Trek it all into town

Shoot a little eight ball down at the pool hall
Drink a beer with my friends
Now don't judge me and I won't judge you
Cause we all get judged in the end

Some people care about what other people think
Worry about what they say
Let a little gossip
Coming from a loose lip ruin a perfect day
Sayin', blah, blah, blah, just a jacking their jaws
Gotta let it roll off-a my back
I don't give a dern what other people think
What do ya think about that?

Some people care about what other people think
Worry about what they say
Let a little gossip
Coming from a loose lip ruin my perfect day
Singin', blah, blah, blah, just a jacking their jaws
Gotta let it roll off-a my back
I don't give a dern what other people think
What do ya think about that?

Say I don't give a damn what other people think
What do ya think about that?

Tell me what ya think about that?
What do you think about that?
What do you think about that?

I think the song is pretty explanatory and doesn't need a whole lotta explanation. I do believe that I'm not into off roadin' so I wouldn't fling mud and trek it on into town. No, I don't believe in drinking beer (not even root beer), and I prefer not to swear-or hear swearing (your right to swear ends where my ears and right to hear clean/pure speach begins). And yes, I do want my lawn mowed and I don't want it lookin' like a red-neck yard so there won't be a broke down motor in the front yard. But a broke down kids wagon, now I think that's okay-used for decoration at least. Even a broke down wheel barrow is okay.

Now for the part about me voting for the other guy. This is the scriptural reference: Moses 4:3 "Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him..."

I've had raunchy neighbors. Some worse than others. Drug dealers with kids that ding-dong-doorbell ditch on a Sunday morning; 6 year old kid that came and crapped on my front lawn and the parents denied she was even outside and available to do such a thing-same neighbor was finally fed up with my calling her to report on her children's behavior she called the cops on me... (snicker, snicker). He came and got her statement, came down to talk with me and my best friend Leda was right there (she had seen the whole event the neighbor had called and reported) and when he was done 'talkin' to me, he said he was gonna go down and talk to her and finished with, "If anyone had a right to call the cops and complain it was you, not her!"; neighbors who smoke pot (not just the drug dealer in CA-but a neighbor here in UT), neighbors dog climbing the fence and getting my dog pregnant-neighbor denied that his dog with his 'bad' back could even do such a thing-we caught the dog in the act and I had the kids literally pull the two pooches apart! The pups sure looked like the dad! Yeah-I've had some raunchy neighbors.

Bottom line? I can't control others, only me. I can't control whether my neighbor cares to do the right thing or not, but I can control if I will do the 'right' thing. So I clean up the neighbor's dog's poop and hope that when my dog gets out and trashes their yard they too can be forgiving. Yip, I'm holding out for I voted for agency, mine and the other guys'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream