Micro-managers-who is it who really has a small mind?

My boss is a micro-manager-sometimes. This management style drives me barely to the edge of this side of normalcy from nuts. She said she wanted all of our Cricut Cartridge images to be standardized. An example of what they do, the cartridge, the overlay, and idea book when applicable (Solutions cartridges do not have an idea book. I spent weeks redoing the images on the 60+ cartridges (while still doing my other tasks). Never a comment of how it was looking. Nothing. I put the images together EXACTLY the way she dictated. She drew an example and I made the images look like she said and showed she wanted.




Now she pulls a chair up next to mine and starts looking at the images with me and says they’re so mechanical, so sterile, so much the same. Duh! What was she thinking? What was she really asking for? What was she trying to get at? She was talking about how she had been checking out our new store front-which we should be able to go live with in mid-December. I brought up the new store front so we could look back and forth between them. There’s supposed to be a way of displaying 3-5 images with each product. Then Cameron showed up (in the nick of time).

We three then began to talk about the new store front-the images, exactly what would be available (the new one displays only a thumbnail until you hit the hyperlink ‘click to enlarge’). Slowly, ever so slowly it became clear to me that the changes Von was wanting regarded the new website. Cameron made it clear that I would be able to upload pictures and described how they would display. Then he directed me to sign in to the admin side of the shop and create my profile with my user name & password. He then gave me a quick tutorial on how to upload products, images, as spreadsheets of products and of individual products.

Had Von started with 'she was looking at the new site and it looks like we might want to change the images we are using, etc.'-it could have been a lot smoother conversation. When you begin bass-ackwards you can’t help but cause a rankle effect.

Comments

Sharon said…
Gotta love it when people micro manage and don't communicate well. *side note* Seriously thinking about getting a cricut someday. *sigh*

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream