Wishes... Wants... Needs...

Sometimes I feel really torn. Torn between the little girl, "I want..." and the grown-up woman "I don't need that..."

I was walking through Wal-Mart the other day and saw this comforter set:



Oh, man. I just love the colors, the way it's put together. The richness it portrays. The warmth. It looks like how I feel in my bedroom. I stopped. Looked. Coveted/sinned. Looked at the price tag and then left it and walked away.

It wouldn't match my carpet, the paint on my walls-I'd have to spend even more money fixing up the rest of my bedroom to make this one work.

That night, as I laid down to sleep I looked at my comforter. It's made of blue jeans, Levis, silver tabs, etc. Worn out jeans from my kids as they were passing through their teen years and working hither and yon. One square has bike chain grease tracks across it. A black square has bleach spots from cleaning up at the Taco Time. I made a square from the Silver Tab jeans and the Nuovo jeans and kept the leather logo on it. One kid was big into carpenter pants so there's a square with the long skinny pocket under the loop. There's a green patch from a green pair of Gitano jeans one daughter loved to wear with a quilt style flannel/velvet shirt. One kid loved white blue jeans so there are several patches of white jeans.

As I rolled over to go to sleep, I reached behind me to feel the front of my rag-tag quilt and felt a peace in the love wrapped in the memories of that quilt.

I guess I just can't quite talk myself into buying the Springmaid Rhythm Comforter Set. It may have the 'look' of the wealth of love I want, but it doesn't quite have the feel.

Comments

Janele Williams said…
I like the quilt story.

Also, I'm thinking of sending Aaron a copy of your blog about NOT getting picked up by your husband.
Sharon said…
Funny enough, we almost bought this comforter set. Almost... Instead we got a different one a few weeks later, but we had the extra money at the time. If we didn't we never would have, that and we needed a new blanket, the one we had is way too hot for New Mexico and all of our others are falling apart, really bad.

I love your quilt. So much history and love that goes with it.

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream