The Coyote Story

I've had a couple of kids (well, okay-one kid and his spouse) ask for this story so here it is.

It was time. Not what we really wanted, because parting is so hard and it was another admission that the glory days of raising teens had peaked and was no on the downhill side. This was the second time for her. This would be her last year at Rick's. She was moving back to finish her Associates Degree. This would be our last easy chance to go see Yellowstone. We already had to drive all the way to Rexburg, what was a few more miles among friends, right?

So we left a day or two early so we could drive around and look at the sights and make some awesome memories. Who came? Dove, me, Camel, Potentially Dangerous, Jammin' and one of her roommates. Just Altogether stayed home for HS Theater commitments and Reverently Sweet stayed to take care of the children's businesses (3 newspaper routes).

We rented a van and because it was cheaper (from that vendor, at that time) to just have one licensed driver on it, we used Dove's name and driver's license. We unloaded the van at the apartment and headed straight to Yellowstone-pulled into the KOA and set up the tent.

That is the background-here's the coyote story. We decided to go out one entrance of the park that we had never been to. Stretching, investigating, trying new stuff. We ended up in Cook, WY-just like the map said we would. It was a little past lunch time and because we do plan to eat out one to two times on a vacation, this was our time. Quaint little tourist trap-oh did I say that out loud? Sorry! Quaint little town and definitely no chain fast food places.

Entered a restaurant. They had buffalo burgers on the menu. We're all curious-well most of us, so no wonder that nearly everyone ordered a buffalo burger. I had the chicken. What? I like chicken. You gotta problem with that? The order comes, finally. Well-in all courtesy-it wasn't a fast food place, it was a sit down place so you can't expect it to be fast, right? Of course right.

We start eating and I can tell you the chicken was perfect. Perfectly cooked, moist, done, and properly seasoned as well. Yummy! The buffalo burgers didn't smell bad-in fact they smelled pretty good. After about 2-3 bites the roomie starts to look a little uncomfortable and then starts to sneak a look at the bottom side of the burger bun. Then she looked in earnest. Then she looked AGAIN, this time extremely closely. Then she set it down and seemed to be in a quandary over what to do next with her new found knowledge.

Brave soul that she was, she spoke up, "Excuse me. Has anyone checked the underside of their bun?" Everyone started looking. Yip. They were shocked to find the same thing she was shocked to find. MOLD!

Well, I don't remember who ate what after that, I just know that because Dove is deathly allergic to penicillin-a derivative of a mold-we needed to get some Benadryl into him asap.

We found some in one of the little shops but it was the allergy relief version and so we had no clue about the strength of the dose (turns out we could have and should have doubled it) but this quaint little town didn't have more stores so we needed to leave, leave now and get back to West Yellowstone to find some full strength stuff.

Did I mention that Dove is deathly allergic to penicillin? Oh I did? Okay. So with Benadryl fighting an allergic reaction, Dove got drowsy. There isn't enough caffeine in any drink that can offset the drug induced drowsiness of Benadryl. So our only 'legal' driver of the van, wasn't.

Here I am driving the van, less than legally (I did have my license and it was current) through the park and I'm praying. Not just for my husband but also so I can stay awake and alert. He's still breathing and kind of slipping between drowsy and sleep. This was my first experience with him having a reaction outside of a hospital so I'm not 100% sure what to expect. Also, I'm not sure if he's slipping between mortality and post-mortality.

Needless to say,I was praying for the safety of the lives I had in my car. One foolish driving error could cost all of our lives. Fairly soon we're back into the park and the long, long drive is ahead of us. The meal was a very late lunch and as it was now getting chilly enough to feel like fall was approaching (had another four weeks before it was official) -you can guess that the sun was setting earlier.

Driving through forested mountainous areas tends to be darker, as do roads without street lights-which is what you'd see in a national forest. Along with animals. Wild animals. Animals that have no fear of the dark nor of vehicles-after all they knew this was their turf and we were the invaders. I'm pretty sure at this point that Dove is asleep.

Oh yes-I didn't drink caffeinated beverages-didn't believe in it (foolish I know) and so yes I was tired-it had been a long and enjoyable day. So, I did the only thing I could do-I prayed harder. These people's lives are in my hands, they're young, they have much to do and missions to fill-please, please, please, please, please help me stay awake. Maybe I said one too many pleases but at that point my bladder said, "Guess what! I'm full!" What about Dove? Oh he's definitely sound asleep. Still breathing, but totally out.

Guess what else happened-I couldn't find an outhouse anywhere. Because of bears and other wild night life there were no overnight camping areas along this route. No potties. No hope. No TP in the van. No good. No napkins. No kidding. Dove is still sound asleep.

We progress further into the park and I guess we were about 3/4 of the way through when I saw a day use area only. Well, hello! they put potties there. It'd be dark. But at this point that's okay with me-the van has headlights! Dove is still sound asleep.

I announce to the rest of the group that we're stopping for a potty break and I'd leave the van running and they could come and use it too if they wanted. The girls followed in a New York minute. The youngest, Potentially Dangerous, follows behind-seems his body has processed water too that wants out.

I get to the outhouse in the nick of time-looking nowhere else-just straight to the outhouse. I don't lock the roomy one seater and shout out to the girls and my baby that if they need or want to, they can come inside and wait.

My baby is too sensitive to the differences in sexes AND has to go as bad as I did so wouldn't come in. Clever little boy he was, he went behind the outhouse to do what scouts and little boys do-relieve himself. There's more to that part of the story-but he'll have to tell it-as it's his story.

I hear some interesting noises outside-just about the time my baby is letting loose-oh and these noises? They were not human caused. The girls heard the noises too and shouted, "We're coming in." I finished and they started taking turns. There are more noises outside-sound canine-like to me, and I hear my baby running back to the van.

I'm concerned someone left the door open and/or won't open it fast enough to let the girls in when the time came. Telling them to stay together and come all at once when they're through I high-tailed it back to the van.

Whew! Safe. Pretty quick the girls came a runnin'. With all of us safely back into the van we were all alert now. What was it? I think I saw... I thought I heard... Well, whatever we're safe now. Dove is still asleep.

We head back to the main road via the access road from the day park and what should appear in the headlights crossing our path!? Look at the title silly-it wasn't Sasquatch! There were four coyotes crossing our path-obviously hungry as their bellies looked like they were scraping their back bones. The kids in the back screamed. Dove moaned and complained and told them to shut up-after all-he was the one who felt his life was threatened.

I'd say that was the end of the story and it almost is. The rest of the Yellowstone trip was relatively non-eventful. I was the new designated driver as I didn't have to keep taking Benadryl. We dropped Jammin' and her roomie off at their apartment and headed out to Craters of the Moon.

We, Dove and I, had gone out there for a picnic lunch 20+ years earlier and we just wanted to see how much it had changed and share it with the rest of the family we had with us.

It's quite well developed now. It has a ranger station, store with post cards and 'stuff' for sale, picnic areas, camping areas, road markers with points of interest, out houses (whew!) and paved roads. It's really well developed.

So we start talking about maybe coming back for a camping trip there and spend a day or two. We're really liking the idea so as we're leaving the park we further develop future vacation plans.

All was well and fine until three miles down the highway a coyote crosses the road. Where there's one, there's more. Okay then-I think we can flush that camping idea. We can come back and visit and have a nice little picnic but I'm not camping there!

Comments

Ruth Sarah said…
Just for the record... I have never been to Yellowstone. I was home alone taking care of the newspaper routes... Although I have loved hearing this story over and over again.
AliceAnn said…
I blog corrected! I just checked with Just Altogether Courageous and verified that his deterrent at the time was to keep working on earning his Thespian points.

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream