I Just Wanna Say This About That

So there's all this talk about entitlement-the entitlement generation, etc.

I was just reading a Gallop Poll e-mail. This is what it said:"--Recent indications that President Barack Obama is focused on overhauling the nation's healthcare system beg the question: Do Americans think it is, or is not, the responsibility of the federal government to make sure all Americans have healthcare coverage? Nearly half of panelists (47%) say yes, it is the government's responsibility to provide coverage, while 40% of respondents disagree. About 1 in 10 panelists say they're not sure."

So what does that have to do with entitlement? Simple. When Beverly was a young mother (she is in her 70's to date) they didn't have healthcare insurance. There was no 'healthcare' plan. If you were sick and couldn't treat it, you want to the doctor or recovered 'magically' or just died-which (albeit not considered acceptable in some circles) was and still is an okay option.

Back then parents were the boss in their families. What they said, was what happened. Right or wrong, that's the way it was. Children were RARELY (if ever) given choices. It was a do or die situation. You did what you were told or you wished you could just die. Where do you think the expression came from, "I couldda died!"?

That mindset (do as I tell you or else/aka my way or the highway) may have led to a lot of closed minds (less creative) but it also led to greater self-discipline, respect (sometimes out of fear-but not always) for elders (anyone even a minute older than you) and obedience to the law (you didn't want dad mad at you-house laws, you really didn't want the principal mad at you-school laws and you REALLY, REALLY didn't want the police mad at you-community/civic laws).

Now I watch my grandchildren growing up and they have choices galore. For me it was eat it or wait until the next meal-this is what I'm fixing and for my grandchildren it's more here's the menu and what would you prefer/I'm fixing this for dinner but I know you don't like that-aka my kid won't eat that-so would you like this or that instead?

It seems in just a few generations we've gone from few PRIVATE companies/businesses/enterprises offering insurance to EXPECTING the government to transition from being Uncle Sam (loving and caring) to mama-fix it mama it's broken (bone, temperature, etc.)

Somehow we're missing the point that each of us will stand alone at the judgment bar of God. There will be no mama, no Uncle Sam and no menu to choose from (I chose to obey commandment #1, 3 & 5 and felt that #2 and 6 were merely suggestions, and...). It really will be a my way or the highway situation.

The stark reality is that some have a perception of the my way or the highway attitude as being backwards, harsh, and wrong. I agree you can as the adult have that kind of attitude and portray a harshness in trying to force something on someone else. I know. I've experienced it.

Although God uses the my way or the highway routine-He is NOT harsh. He simply says if you want this blessing, privilege or promise then you do things this way and if not, that's okay; however you must understand you are then on your own, left to kick against the pricks and you must then suffer the associated consequences.

I guess that's the part that's missing from the entitlement generation. They're missing that part about the consequences. If government does everything for everyone, then no one is free.

Then I suppose we will have to return to the toddler stage as a society and fiercely fight for our independence and freedom again.

You know-I always wondered why and how the Nephites could have it all and then lose it all in just under 200 years. I think I get it now.

Comments

Janele Williams said…
You've been talking on this theme quite a bit lately.

I agree.

I don't think I understand all the implications in my life, however, on a day-to-day basis. So, keep talking about it. I'll understand more as time goes on.

Also, I was speculating this isn't a passing fancy or obsession. Are you still formulating your thoughts on the matter or do you have a game plan? I want to help when you have a game plan.

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream