I Think I Singed My Hair


Oh well it will grow back, right?!

I was burning some of the grapevine clippings in the burn barrel. It was still wet from the winter and from yesterdays snow/rain.

I've always associated grapevines with Jesus. Something about treading the wine press alone, righteous wrath (The Grapes of Wrath), turning water into wine at a wedding (love alliteration) and so on.

Being so wet there was a lot of white smoke, little flame and not much heat. Until I thought of trimming the branches off the Christmas tree and putting them in. Man did that ever get things going (hence the singed hair). He was hung on a pole, from a tree. Christmas is man's puny excuse to celebrate His birth.

Interesting, it took the Christmas tree to get the grapevines burning. Then once the grapevines (only the ones in the barrel, I have lots more where those came from) burned down I could see what was in the bottom of the barrel...

wait for it...

wait for it...

As I was turning the compost pile so I could be nearby and watch the fire I could hear popping. The Christmas tree branches were long gone so it wasn't them. And the popping continued. I finally took a gander and found ACORNS-a full 2' of acorns in the bottom of the barrel.

I've always associated acorns with longevity, wisdom, stalwart; traits I also attribute to Christ. Interesting....

This winter I've seen quite a few big weeds blowing around. Some have landed in my yard and been trapped by the fences. Dang it! I've considered them a nuisance. But today the thought occurred to me that they would be considered a blessing about 200 years ago, on the plains, in the dead of winter, with no nothing growing nearby to start a fire. What a God-send to have them just blow into your place! And those acorns that bugged me last fall and I vacuumed up and dumped them in the burn barrel-me thinks they would have been considered a God-send to some people 200 years ago. I guess it's all in your perspective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream