Goal Setting

I'm not so sure it's quite cracked up to what it's supposed to be. I was told to set goals-some long some short range. But seriously what's long and what's short?

Remodeling our bedrooms and front room of our home. Long or short? Perspective. Supply/demand issues. Marketing/color scheme by major manufacturers change-dramatically about every 10 years. That's an industry standard.

Last October/November (2009) I had made decisions for color schemes for our bedroom, office, craft room and living room. I had paint chips. I had made the decision to pay as we go.

Painting, ripping out carpet, laying wood laminate flooring, installing new moulding (baseboard and around doors) AND crown moulding takes time... and money...

So here we are about six months later. The office is done. The bedroom is almost done. The craft room is almost done. The hall is almost done. And... When I stopped at Home Depot during the week to pick up some more painting stuff for the hall I found that their Ralph Lauren paint display was gone. NOT GOOD! Can I emphasize that enough?

I get home, I start painting the ceiling (after Dove ripped up the carpet & tack board, took the swamp cooler, light, outlet, and switch fixtures off) when I discover that I don't have enough of the wall paint to paint the walls.

Saturday we head to Home Depot. Instead of using up the rest of the blue office ceiling (very light blue) and wall (medium light blue) paint for the hall (which won't really go with the living room paint anyway) we buy some creamy yellow which will be just fine between all of the rooms. While we're there I ask about the Ralph Lauren paint display... don't carry it anymore-just the specialty paint... what about my Ralph Lauren paint chips? oh those are specialty paints, let me look them up... nope discontinued. have two quarts of the gold, but no formula in the computer left so can't mix it-sorry.

So much for goal planning. So much for paying cash as you go. Harrumph!

Showing my paint chips we ask of: Sherwin Williams-do you have this? No. Lowe's do you have this? No.

On to the Lindon Home Depot, reasoning both that store managers have some items required to carry and some optional AND that because there are more high end price-wise homes in the area they MAY have some of the discontinued paint left.

Yes and no. They had all but the textured coat for the ceiling. BUT they had a way of helping us 'fake' the texture so it will work out.

Charge card time. $300 later we have the rest of what we need for the front room, inclusive of the tiles for the front door.

Dang, ding, dumb, rigga, ragga,.... #&%+@| Goals and goal setting. Long range, short range. Things like this keep convincing me to shoot from the hip. It's safer and more complete.

Charge card here we come!

It's going to look gorgeous when we're done! I don't have to have a big, huge mansion. I'm comfortable with a cozy home-that is elegant, functional, beautiful, usable, comfortable, peaceable. A house of order. A house that is a little corner of heaven on earth. Yip. That's the real goal! The long range goal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream