Let Me Take Care of You

I can't believe that fell out of his mouth. There. Of all places, there! He was praying for all of us. I can't believe he just said that. What? you ask... "Please bless the leaders of this nation that they will see our needs and fill them."

Say what! I have read this scripture before and heard and thought of many applications for it, but I think it applies here too: "O that ye would awake; awake from a deep sleep, yea, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the awful chains by which ye are bound, which are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 1:13)

Last time I checked when God 'helps' us, He expects us to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and dig in and get to work. He teaches us how to fish and expects we catch the worm (bait), put it on the hook, go to a stream and fish-then clean it, cook it and eat it. Gone are the days when manna can be gathered as frost from the lawn. Gone are the days of quail flying into us and eating so much of it that it's coming as it were out of our nostrils.

The other 'he' (not dignified by not capitalizing, intentionally) is the one who would, if 'he' were allowed, see our needs and 'take' care of us.

Oh my stars and garters! Can you believe that? My dear hubby has glaucoma. It isn't a question of IF he goes blind but when. Two appointments in a row (one check-up every six months) has shown permanent nerve damage and it is increasing. It's a fact.

So IF the main breadwinner in our family can no longer function in this capacity what am I to do? I don't have the earning power he has. So I went to college, got a degree, got a job and when he can no longer function as the main breadwinner (and handyman, and short order cook and...), then we should be able to have enough debt paid off so we can still be fine on my much smaller income.

Functionally I have been taught how to fish and I'm fishing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream