Bits and Pieces

There's a danger with going through a therapeutic journal-it was written to vent any and all things and stuff (emotional/psychological splinters) so healing can take place. Going back through it, with the intent to blog it, well, it's difficult to know what to just leave out.

I've always had problems with that-knowing which pieces to leave out. It's kind of like if you could only keep two of your kids, which two? They're all part of you, all part of your family-you can't leave any out without tearing your family apart.

So here's a few ramblings that may matter to someone at some point, but they are pieces that have helped to develop and mold me, so here they are anyway.

When I was 11 years old Paula Westcott's mom called my mom. You see her mom stayed home and didn't go anywhere. Paula's dad worked at a lumber yard and didn't get home until after 4 p.m. Paula wanted to join the Girl Scouts (or her mother wanted her to). She would need a companion to walk with her from the elementary school to the Girl Scout meeting place and then back home. So, her mom paid my dues and I became a Junior Girl Scout. It was a blast. I loved earning merit badges, learning first aid and camping skills, and let's see- What else do Girl Scouts do? Hmmm... Hmmm... Oh YES! I loved selling the cookies (almost as much as eating them). Big surprise to me that part of the money from the sale of cookies goes back to the troop funds and someone (maybe it was Paula's mom-who knows) paid the rest of the fees and I was given a campership to go to Girl Scout camp the following summer. I had a ball. It's one of the most fun memories I have. Hiking, swimming in the lake (man was that cold!), archery, movie night, and crafts. Lots of crafts. We made stuff using the bark from the trees (the trees in that forest shed a lot of bark). Good thing I wrote my journal way back when I could still remember because I didn't remember this next part.

I cried when it was time to go home-I didn't want to go. I had too much fun, a huge relief from the stress of being home and I was to young and immature to realize that I couldn't just live there in the forest until I grew up. Sad isn't it? That in fairy tales girls could go live in the forest until they grew up.

I learned about clouds when I was in 5th grade. Mrs. Heron taught us, and I still remember a lot of what I learned. I love clouds. After I took astronomy (a long time after 5th grade-say about 3.5 decades!) I came to understand and appreciate the great blessing of having an atmosphere, and without that we'd have no clouds. Now when I look at clouds I not only think of the pretty fluffy whiteness or the images they can form (thanks to computer graphics they can taken on just about any face or image) but I now have a higher depth of appreciation to God for the atmosphere so we can have clouds! :)

My 6th grade graduation party was a luau. The teacher even had some poi shipped over-how Mrs. Gunderson got hold of some poi I don't know, but she did!

Most of my free time I spent in my bedroom. There was some time out with the dogs but much of it I found safer to spend in my room. Oh no-I wasn't a neat-nik. I read. I read space fiction books. Later in Jr. high it would be WWII books. My chores were simple enough, wash the dishes, use the wringer washer to wash the family's laundry, hang the laundry on the clotheslines outside, bring the laundry in when it was dry and fold it up, sweep the carpet (I think I was about 11-12 yrs. old when I was finally allowed to use the vacuum cleaner), clear off/wipe/and set the table for dinner, make everyone's cheese sandwiches for the next school day before I went to bed, make dinner (mom sat in her chair and hollered to me in the kitchen what steps to do next)-just little things like that.

I forgot this next story too. I went with dad (don't know why) to grandma and grandpa Nelson's one weekend. I either spilled something on my shirt or it was stained. Either way grandma couldn't stand to look at it. She took me to a store-I think it was JCPenney's and bought me a new blouse. I'd never been in a clothing store before. I was afraid and felt unsteady and uncertain. She kept asking what color, what size, what did I want-I had absolutely NO clue.

That's enough for now. I'm bored with this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream