Who’s the BOSS of me?

When I first was hired at Creative Xpress Von had said, “Come in sometime between 7 and 9 a.m. and work your hours.” What does that sound like to you? Well, never mind-I guess because that’s where I’m working it only matters what it sounds like to me. To me it says, you can come in as early as 7 a.m. and because Provo Craft does not compel you to take a lunch you can leave after 8 hours. Well, that would be so, IF your boss didn’t come sallying in between 9 and 10 a.m. and then expect you to stay later each night just because she does. She’s salaried. She’s expected to stay later. I am not paid to do so, I am not salaried. So I end up getting my 40 hours in by Friday mornings around 10 a.m. or so and because Provo Craft does NOT want to pay overtime (or rather Avon doesn’t want it coming out of her budget) I then clock out and leave!

Well, the "Boss" has asked me on several occasions to work later on Fridays but she usually does that on that Friday. This past week, on Monday, she had a ‘serious’ conversation with me asking me to ‘adjust’ my hours so that I am there more of the day on Fridays. I said nothing. I just looked her in the eyes. Surely you know the game. The first to flinch is the first to lose. Then she tried to moderate it with reminding me of the Friday before and how the prices on a product needed to be changed in the new store and so she ended up calling me on my cell phone and asking for my login and password so she could go in and change the prices.

I continued to stare into her eyes, saying nothing. Then she flinched again and said that she wished she could work only a half day on Fridays.

I again continued to stare into her eyes, saying nothing. She flinched yet again and said it would be helpful if I could stay at least a little bit later on Fridays.

Then it was my turn. I was getting where I wanted. So I asked, how late are you talking about? She said, until noon. So, I won! I have finally figured out how to work with her and get what I want!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream