You Can Tell a Lot About People Through the Songs They 'LOVE'

Maybe that only applies to me, but I hear a song and a phrase here or there and it just says how I feel. Some of the lyrics I have to listen to and think about for a while before I see the connection.

So I want to share the lyrics of some of the songs I most love and treasure and tell you why they touch me so deeply.

I'm going to start with Charlene's I've Never Been To Me.
The background-not fair-because when I first heard it I didn't have a prep. She's lived long enough to go through the dream-glamor years from teen, to young adult, to mature adult, to obviously not young any more... And she realizes that what she thought she wanted when she was younger-over experience and time-she's come to realize that wasn't what she wanted. So she wants to leave a message to young mothers who may think their life of motherhood and wife-hood is drudgery. This message I think is good for young women who might be thinking a life of bling and glamor is the way to go. She warns of the loneliness that awaits those who follow fame and fortune. She warns of the feelings in the fall and winter of your life that will leave you feeling incomplete-empty-hollow-in effect dross.

Hey lady, you lady, cursing at your life
You're a discontented mother and a regimented wife
I've no doubt you dream about the things you'll never do
But, I wish someone had talked to me
Like I wanna talk to you.....

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run
I took the hand of a preacher man and we made love in the sun
But I ran out of places and friendly faces because I had to be free
I've been to paradise but I've never been to me

Please lady, please lady, don't just walk away
'Cause I have this need to tell you why I'm all alone today
I can see so much of me still living in your eyes
Won't you share a part of a weary heart that has lived million lies....

Oh, I've been to Niece and the Isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht
I've moved like Harlow in Monte Carlo and showed 'em what I've got
I've been undressed by kings and I've seen some things that a woman ain't supposed to see
I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me

[spoken]
Hey, you know what paradise is?
It's a lie, a fantasy we create about people and places as we'd like them to be
But you know what truth is?
It's that little baby you're holding, and it's that man you fought with this morning
The same one you're going to make love with tonight
That's truth, that's love......


Sometimes I've been to crying for unborn children that might have made me complete
But I took the sweet life, I never knew I'd be bitter from the sweet
I've spent my life exploring the subtle whoring that costs too much to be free
Hey lady......
I've been to paradise,
But I've never been to me

I've been to paradise,
But I've never been to me

(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)
I've been to paradise, never been to me
(I've been to Neice and the isle of Greece while I've sipped champagne on a yacht)
I've been to paradise, never been to me
(I've been to cryin' for unborn children that might have made me complete)
I've been to paradise, never been to me
(I've been to Georgia and California, and anywhere I could run)
I've been to paradise, never been to me

Comments

Janele Williams said…
Because this song was important to you, and you shared it with me, it has been a part of me as a mother.

There are always those days, you know, that are frustrating and difficult and I can't get anything done and everyone is on edge.

But because of learning that there are more important things than what I want to get "done." There are those I want to have goood relationships with and share my love and not my frustration... I can step back, take a deep breath, and say, "Let's go to Thanksgiving Point today. Everything else can wait."

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream