Like Walking Through a Mine Field

If you're both deaf and blind and all alone and are trying to survive or get-a-long in life without the true and everlasting gospel(that would be pre-mortal existence and post-mortal existence type of everlasting-rules/laws/commandments in effect before time began and will be long after the earth is a sea of glass); it would be like being blind and deaf and stuck in the middle of a mine field. Any which way you turn may seem right but could be devastatingly wrong. And what's worse-you may have others dependent on you to help you make it through there safely.

I think that's what my favoritest and dearest Great Aunt Piney went through too.

I have born my testimony and heard others do so-trying to express what life would be like without the gospel and as hard as I've tried to find those words to express my deepest feelings-I have been unsuccessful; until now. Last night at the Temple those are the words that came to me.

Aunt Piney had married in the Temple and found her husband abusive and totally not good. After one baby she divorced him. I may remember these things wrong, but I think that's how it happened. Her second marriage, after a baby and I don't know how long-he died-don't know if it was health or accident related. Then, with two children in tow she had little option but to hold tight and fast to the iron rod and she did. Then she met Uncle Vic. He wasn't a member and the rest is history-he became one and served as a Bishop in the Long Beach area about the time Howard W. Hunter was there. I know their story is history because they are both gone and at least one of their children has also passed on.

Another way I know that life is like a mine field is because of a very dear friend. She married in the temple to a man who was very well to do, and her husband cheated on her. She eventually gave up the wealth and left him and married again. This guy was a good Christian (not LDS) and she was sure that since she was marrying for Christian values he'd be good-but not so. That marriage didn't last a year before it was obvious he was an abuser.

Life, without grasping that iron rod really tightly, is certainly like a mine field and we are left deaf and blind as we rely on the arm of flesh to find solutions to our needs, wants, and questions.

Comments

Janele Williams said…
I like the analogy.

You're right. Going through life without knowing what the purpose of life is, and without the guidance of the Spirit, is exactly like a minefield.

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream