50 cents



One holiday when we visited Grandma and Grandpa Nelson they gave each of us kids a 50 cent piece. That was LOT of money to me and I was totally unaccustomed to having any.

It was nap time and I had no choice but had to lay down to take a nap (tired or not-that was the protocol-I understand now, it wasn't so much that the kids needed naps but rather the adults needed a break from the kids) and was told to put my money on the nightstand so I wouldn't lose it.

When I awoke Grandpa had replaced it with 2 quarters. Also I hadn't remembered the 50 cent piece and hadn't noticed it had been traded out. Finally the teasers couldn't bear it any longer and began their comments of, "Well, maybe it doesn't matter to her. Maybe she doesn't really care. Maybe she wants to just let whoever wants it take it. Maybe I ought to just take it back. See, she still hasn't remembered about it." Then when I did get the hint (2" X 4" reminder) I was all in tears because my 50 cent piece was gone and now there were 2 quarters.

Grandma couldn't understand why I was so upset-they have equal monetary value. But to me-in my child mind-one was a gift to be treasured the other just change.

Comments

Ruth Sarah said…
It's the same theory of the child losing the balloon and the adult losing a wallet...
;)

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream