Another Midnight Jaunt to the Bathroom

I remember getting up in the evening to go to the bathroom and as I was halfway there, daddy was leaving the bathroom drying his hair with a towel-stark naked. I remember seeing something hanging down from his crotch. That's the last time I ever wanted to look at anything for details!

One day we went for a family walk. The University of Louisville was just a few blocks away so it was a favorite and safe place for a family to go for a walk. I remember walking up a grassy hill and rolling down it again and again. That evening when I took a bath my skin hurt. The barbs on the grass blades cuts young tender skin. It was not a fun experience.

Our little home was heated with a floor furnace in the bedroom hall area between the front room and the kitchen. There was a grate across the top of it. It seemed so deep and dark. I was genuinely afraid of it the whole time we lived there.

I had a little black dog, a Scottish Terrier. I was given the privilege of naming her. I called her Jet. She was jet black and there was a jet that flew overhead. She had pups and shortly after she died. She at least had been good to stay in the yard.

We had a small garden in the front yard. Dad worked in it often. It's interesting reading that now because I have no memory of that whatsoever. I guess I've been around gardens and gardening for a very long time.

Once there was a hornets nest on the front porch. Mom made such a big deal for us kids to stay inside. Dad was so smart to make a fire on a stick with some rags wrapped around it to smoke them out. As I recall, there was little smoke, worry about catching the wood porch on fire and dad got bit several times.

Mom had a large metal tub-like what you would use to bob for apples. She kept it in the side yard in the summer time. When it was really hot out she'd fill it with water and we'd play in it with our underwear on. Plastic wasn't invented yet and why go through the expense of bathing suits?

Next time I'll tell about toothpaste on the ceiling and crayons on the pot-bellied stove.

Comments

Ruth Sarah said…
haha... I remember the toothpaste and crayons stories!!! What classics! Tell them again!!!

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream