Grandma and Grandpa Nelson came for a visit


My Grandpa Nelson took Bob and I to the neighborhood store. I suppose it was more to let grandpa get out and see the neighborhood, get the kids out of the house, and get away from the women.

Whatever the reason we were out with him. I know it's supposed to feel wonderful being with grandparents but we saw them so very rarely and it was really a struggle to have an affinity for them.

He bought us each a Duncan yo-yo. I had a hard time choosing a color but decided on the yellow one. Bob chose a green one. These were made of a hard plastic-one of the early uses of plastics in the commercial/public market sector.

When we got home I pouted horribly because Bob's green one worked and my yellow one did not. I really threw a royal tantrum until Grandma Nelson could stand it no longer and insisted that Bobby (being older, more mature, and wiser?-huh?) trade with me. So I gave up my pretty, bright, happy, yellow (broken-it wasn't really-I just didn't know how to work it) yo-yo for Bobby's beautiful green yo-yo.

Mom and my grandparents had harsh words for each other over this-something about spoiling me and I had to learn sometime (sooner was better than later mom thought) that the world didn't evolve around me and I wasn't always going to get my own way.

Eventually I did learn how to work my green yo-yo and I played with it until I was in high school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream