I'd go slippy slippy slidey over everybodys hidey oh...


There are two stories my mom told often about me. I was so young I really don't remember them happening-but I'm sure they did.

One was about how I had climbed up on the kitchen counter top, opened the cupboard door and started eating the sugar (which was kept in the sugar bowl). I heard her coming and got down as fast as I could. She came up to me and asked what I had gotten into. I shook my head no and said nothing (my mouth was full).

She said she heard me in the kitchen cupboard, saw the sugar on the counter top and on my face and she was sure my mouth was full of sugar. Then she asked again, "What did you get into." My mouth still wasn't empty (I really did stuff a lot in it) so I again shook my head no.

Finally she said I know your mouth is full of sugar. I do remember this part-I shook my head vehemently no and tried to say no. Then she called me a liar (appropriately). She told me never to do that again. Later in life I had kids who wanted to do the exact same thing. I solved the issue a bit differently. Bet that brings back memories for them!

The second story I remember her telling was about giving me a bath. I must have been close to being a year old because I could sit up in the baby bathtub which she had on the kitchen table. Now, they didn't have plastic yet so it was a metal tub. She had carefully bathed me and then when she turned her back to get a towel to take me out and dry me off I did the one thing that comes natural to any baby. I saw that pretty white rectangle floating around in the water with me (hey-that was the only toy in the tub-they didn't have little rubber duckies back then) and grabbed it and took a huge bite of it. It must have been Ivory soap because that's the only soap soft enough to be able to take a bite out of.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream