Dream Whip

Well, that's what mama called it. I have NO clue where she got the idea to make it. She called it that because it was whipped up so much it was dreamy.

She made up a large package of Jell-O (generally a red one) and left it in the fridge until it was half set. Then she took her favorite stainless steel mixing bowl (with rounded sides into the bottom-no corners) and blended (with her little Hamilton Beach hand mixer) 1 cup of sugar and one can of evaporated milk. I guess the same way you blend cream and sugar-until there was no more granulated sugar.

Once this blend of milk and sugar had taken form she then poured the half-set Jell-O into it and continued blending until it was completely mixed through. One time the Jell-o had hard set and so it was kind of chunky-no amount of mixing helped.

Generally when the mixture was completely blended there was so much air whipped into it that it had about doubled in size. Then she'd put the bowl back into the fridge and let it set up. She'd make this half a day before she was going to serve it. Once it goes back in the fridge it has to sit there for another 2 hours or so to set up.

This stuff tasted so good. I was a kid. It was sugar. Of course to me it tasted good. It was so good it was so hard to leave alone. She made this several times a year and had done so for several years.

Well, at one time I had grown up enough to start to get smart. Or so I thought. If it had to set up then that meant it was soft. One Saturday, while she was not looking, I got this hare-brained idea to stick a straw in it and suck some up. It worked. It was good. But it left a hole. Hmmm...

I stuck the straw back in, to a new spot, and sucked it up-kind of like a butterfly with nectar from a flower; but this time just as I was pulling the straw out I puffed a little air into it and pushed a little of the fluff back which filled the top of the hole! Viola! It looked as good after as it had before. Awesome!

For my next long pull on the straw I filled both that hole and the first hole. I continued until my tummy was full.

Later that night, after dinner, my mom commented about how she didn't remember ever seeing such large holes in it. I'm not saying anything. You saying anything? I didn't think so. Yip-you're welcome to try the recipe yourself. Xylitol may work in place of sugar and you might as well use cream-Winder Dairy cream of course!

Comments

Ruth Sarah said…
You know, I've always loved this story... And so does everyone i share it with! Such a sneaky girl you were! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream