HOUSEHOLD CHORES AS A CHILD

I fed the dogs every night and cleaned up their poop. I asked why me and not my older brother or younger sister. I was told because the dogs liked me.

By the age of 10 I was doing the dishes, by hand of course. I also cleared off, wiped and set the table.

For my 11th birthday the added responsibility of sweeping the carpet was added.

For my 12th birthday I started cooking weekend breakfasts. I also made school lunches for everyone before I went to bed at night-and dads lunch for work.

For my 13th birthday I started doing the laundry. For the whole family. With a wringer washer. We had a solar dryer-clothes line and clothes pins in the back yard.

For my 14th birthday I fixed dinner every night.

I would be sent out to weed in the garden whenever it was needed.

I would be sent to the grocery store to get the one or two things that were needed. When Barbara went she’d ask Mom if she could keep the change. I asked Mom once if I could. She said no. Well, why was Barbara allowed to? She is only sent when I know I have a few cents to spare.

Favorite chores: weeding, dishes, cooking desserts.

Least? Sweeping the carpet, cleaning my room.

I once asked why Barbara didn't start getting these chores. I was told she was too young. I waited a year and asked again. I was given the same answer. I protested that she was older now than I was when I first started doing chores. I was told that she just couldn't do them as well as I. I said nothing. I thought, 'Yeah and she never will if she doesn't get busy and do them.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream