FAVORITE CHILDHOOD GAMES


Uh, yeah.

Freeze tag.

Heads up 7-up.

Jack and the Beanstalk (hiding the chalkboard eraser and one person-‘it’- walking around the room with everyone clapping louder and faster when you got closer and quieter and slower when you were further from it.).

Marbles. I loved playing marbles at recess.

I was given a board game, Monopoly. I liked that. But I’d rather play store with the money.

I was also given a game called “Go to the Head of the Class.” No one else wanted to play it. Finally when I could read and comprehend I would read the questions and answer them. I would sometimes play 2 or 3 players and play it myself. I even remember the commercial jingle, "You want to go to college, and gain a lot of knowledge, then you can go to the head of the class."

My favorite past time at home was to take the encyclopedia and open it up and start reading. For the fun of it. The dictionary was fun too-but didn’t have as many pictures.

I liked playing rummy with my mom. We'd stay up late at night during the summer months playing rummy. I finally got to where I could win and seeing she was bummed by it and fearful the fun and one on one would end, I'd let her win. I hadn't quite yet learned the concept of playing for the fun and social interaction-later with my kids I learned the better reason to purposefully lose. The fearful of losing what I have is selfish and self-centered; the losing to keep the social interaction going is subservient and graceful to those you're interacting with.

I played Bunko with her and Yahtzee too. But these came after her friendship with Pat Palm and them going over there for game nights.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream