Father's Day is Coming...

Father’s day is coming up and I’ve been racking my brain (well, for a few moments once in a while) trying to come up with something for David. I finally thought of something-he lost his wedding band about a year ago. I only really noticed how long it’s been about a month ago. I’m sure he told me about it, but he loses things and then they reappear eventually so I didn’t think much about it. No, he’s lost this one really good. It was kind of nice. It was a silver ring with 3 turquoise stones in it. He liked it and so did I. Argh! So I was thinking maybe just buying him a wedding band-not that he’s so hot to look at that he needs one to ward off all the young chicks-but that we are both used to wearing them. Hmmmm…

A couple days ago he had his wallet out and was examining it like he was checking to see how worn out it was and I said, “Oh so you’re thinking you need a new wallet for Father’s Day, eh? I was thinking of getting you a new wedding band.” Oh, no, no, no-I don’t need a new wallet, was his response. Okay so maybe he doesn’t want one. I’ll get back to the rest of this story later.

Dove and I left the Art Gallery and went wandering. I suggested we look in the jewelry stores and see what’s available; see what he might be interested in. So we looked, and looked some more. We left one store and he didn’t seem the least bit interested. So we wandered into the next jewelry store and again, he didn’t seem interested in anything. That’s okay. He may not be too keen on the idea yet. We’ll look whenever we get a chance. Father’s day isn’t for another 3 weeks so we have plenty of time.

There was a couple-about our age-who were looking at the men’s wedding bands. So we couldn’t get into and see what was in the case-they were kind of blocking it. So we wandered around. I could find stuff I liked but we weren’t looking for me, had no intentions of spending on me, and this wasn’t about me, so we were about to speed up and wander ourselves on to the next jewelry store when a voice, literally, from behind us said, “Good evening. How are you doing tonight?” It wasn’t a voice I recognized, I hadn’t seen anyone else in there except for the one sales associate and the other couple looking at the men wedding bands, so I just kind of ignored the voice. But then I slowed, and turned and sure enough, a sales associate had wandered back into the store and was addressing us-so I asked if she was. Yes, she said. She asked if we were looking for anything in particular. Yes, just to see what they had and he needed a new band but that I had sprung it on him 3 days earlier and he hadn’t had time to think about it, so we were just wandering. And it seemed the counter where what we want is ‘busy’ so we were going to continue our journey.

She gasped, “I have just what you want. AND it isn’t in that counter (where the couple still stood)-it’s in the very first counter.” She took us over to the first counter we had walked past. It had only one men wedding band in it and then she told us the story behind it. Some guy was going to buy it, but wanted it in yellow, and so was using it as a ‘loaner’ until the yellow one came in, but it was discontinued and then his need for it broke apart, so it was returned and instead of the original $2,859, it was going for $600. It’s white and yellow gold, just as mine is and it has 5 diamonds recessed in it. I was so shocked; David actually was interested in getting it.

She kept chatting us up, telling us more details about it, more options, come see the other we have, brand new, just like it, but with the new sku and you’ll see what I mean-she kept looking at me to see what I thought, Dove kept looking at me to see what I thought and I kept saying talk to him-he’s the one who has to say yes or no; don’t look at me-I’m not going to decide for you. The ring was at a 475% discount. But that can’t be the reason to buy anything-if you don’t like it-I don’t care how cheap it is-don’t get it. Needless to say, we put the 10% down, bought the lifetime warranty, had it sent out to be sized and coated, and will pick it up next Friday.

It looks a lot like this:


We counted the stones in it-there are 5. I couldn’t see how this number fit in with our family. But now I think I do. We have 5 sons: Oldest, Courageous, Clever, Jeremiah, and Potentially. Each of them has had the most impact in helping Dove become a diamond and he has impacted them the most-as fathers do, in becoming diamonds. Somehow-it fits.

Comments

Janele Williams said…
Aaron has always wanted a ring like this. I keep telling him someday... But I want a house first!

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream