HAVE YOU MET ANY FAMOUS PEOPLE? WHERE AND WHEN?

TV station announcer, for channel 3’s KEYT in Santa Barbara, CA. He came to judge a speech contest held at our ward. I won the contest. I was quite rude. I mentioned his tie did not go with his suit. I was a teenager—I knew it all.

The famous (to me at least) person I most cherish having met was Elder L. Tom Perry. I was working at ZCMI at the University Mall (it isn’t there anymore). A very tall gentleman came in to buy his wife some socks for jogging. I was jogging at the time (I ran 5 miles/day). As I visited with him and helped him select a gift, I felt I recognized his voice and perhaps his face, but couldn’t place him.

When the sale was complete I said, “Excuse me, if you don’t mind my asking, your face and voice are very familiar, and may I ask your name?” He responded, “My name is L. Tom Perry.” Then, like the idiot I am, I said, “I thought I recognized you. On my TV you’re about this tall (it was a 20” screen). I had no idea you were so much taller.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream