TELL ABOUT ANY PETS YOU HAD AS A CHILD

Jet! A little black Scottish terrier. She was jet black and there was a jet (new age technology at that time) passing overhead when I was asked to name her. Of course, I was 3 years old and mom and dad had obtained her, bought her food, etc. But I got to claim her as my own until she died having puppies. That was in Louisville, KY.

Dad had a German shepherd named Sergeant. We took him with us one weekend when we went fishing at Goleta pier. I was about 11 years old and took him for a walk, purportedly, on the beach. He dragged me all the way to the wave’s edge tugging so hard on the leash and then he dragged me across the sand when I lost my footing and fell. I finally let go of the leash. I was sure I had lost him forever and that I would never be allowed home again. I didn’t know where I was going to live or how I was going to make it in life. He had his fun running wild, loose, and free (Dogs MUST be on leash, said the sign, but it didn’t say a person had to be at the other end of that leash!) and by the end of the day was tired and ready to go home so he found dad.

My next pet was Snow (for snowball). He was so small as a puppy I used to put him in my bra in the space in the middle. I loved him and I felt like he loved me. That was in Santa Barbara, CA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream