TELL ABOUT THE PLACES YOU’VE WORKED

I worked in the school cafeteria in Monroe Elementary when I was in the 4th-6th grades to earn my lunch.

I worked in the school cafeteria in La Cumbre Jr. High when I was in 7th-9th grades to earn my lunch.

I worked at the Pet Manor (pet store) when I was 16 years old. I fed fish, cleaned kennels, and sold product to customers.

I worked as a secretary for Ririe Godfrey at Ricks College. I typed up the tests I would take from him in my Biology class. I graded the tests, including my own papers. That was interesting, typing up the tests. You used a ditto master. Two sheets of paper, one with very thick greasy blue carbon on it, the second sheet was a heavy duty sheet of slicky paper. You typed on the slicky paper and the back of it picked up the carbon. You separated the two, used a razor blade to scrape off the carbon that formed the wrong letters (this instead of white out), then ran it through a ditto machine (hand crank) to make as many copies as you needed. The tests were generally four pages long. So after printing all four pages you hand collated the pages and then hand stapled them—there wasn’t an electric stapler available.

I worked hard enough for him that he fired his other secretary. I remember asking him where she was because I hadn’t seen her for a few days and it didn’t seem like she had been doing any of the work. With a big grin on his face he said he’d fired her. I said, no, she quit. Then he got really serious and said, he’d fired her. That left me feeling very unsettled. I didn’t want to be next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream