HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT WINNING? LOSING?

Yes, ah…… When I was younger I felt like a failure unless I won. That was then. This is now. I have a whole different perspective on winning. I came to that along the following road (series of learning experiences).

I would play games with my children. Checkers, 4 square, Sorry, Trouble, Kings Corner, Hand and Foot, Rummy, Boggle, etc.

People have different abilities and adeptness in different areas and at different stages in life. So, when I could beat my children at all the games did it make me feel good? No. It wasn’t a fair contest. But I couldn’t beat my peers at most games, does that make me a sore loser, poor sport, or inept. Well, I don’t want to think about that.

So, what then was the purpose behind playing games? To show prowess? To show superiority? Or is there something much deeper. Is it to learn skills? Stretch abilities? Learn new things? For social interaction? To draw people closer together?

I opted for the last 5 possibilities. So for me it became an opportunity to pass of what I knew, be gracious at winning or losing, and draw joy in watching my children win and be successful. I no longer cared about winning. To help my children have a more mature attitude about winning when we played card games we let the winner shuffle the cards. They got to play the generous and gracious host since they had all the winnings.

It doesn’t hurt to lose anymore. It still feels good to win. And I take greater joy in seeing someone else win.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream