TELL ABOUT ANY CONDITIONS SURROUNDING YOUR BIRTH THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF. TELL ANY INTERESTING STORIES ABOUT YOUR BEGINNINGS (HOW WAS YOUR NAME CHOSEN)

Mom was outside in February in Louisville, Kentucky hanging clothes up on the lines when she went into labor with me. She said the clothes would freeze as soon as they were pinned to the lines. I was born on a Sunday.

I was born around 8 p.m. so she missed her dinner as breakfast was the next meal served at the hospital.

My feet were twisted outwards at the ankles. The doctor said I’d never walk unless they corrected that while the bones were still soft. So before she left the hospital with me (delivering mothers used to have to stay in the hospital for 10 days), casts were put on my legs, from the hips to the toes.

My name Alice Ann is from my maternal grandmother Sarah Alice and my mother Dorothy Ann. Mom called me Alice Ann while we lived in Kentucky. By the time we moved to California and I started school I was called Alice, even at home, so I could get used to being called Alice at school. Somewhere along that time I decided I didn’t like the sound of my name (Alice). Sure I was pleased to be named after grandma and mom but….

As an adult I now understand why I felt that way. My name, Alice Ann, when used together sounds complete. I like the sound of it. When only using half of it-it doesn’t sound right, doesn’t sound complete.

I recall looking up in a dictionary to know what my name meant. Alice means Truth or truth of God. Ann means grace. In the scriptures it says that Christ is full of grace and truth. Then my name took on a whole new meaning of special. Not only do I like my name for its heritage, I love my name for I feel it brings me closer to God-or at the least reminds me I need to honor my special name by doing all I can to be closer to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream