HOW MANY BROTHERS AND SISTERS DO YOU HAVE? DESCRIBE THEM, TELL A STORY ABOUT YOU AND EACH OF THEM.

I have 2 brothers and one sister, well, except that my Mom had a miscarriage between Bob and I so there’s another little girl.

Bob (Robert Gene Nelson) is the oldest of us children. He was born in 1951. Brown kinky curly hair, brown eyes, and stocky built. He’s very much like my dad and I wonder if that’s why they don’t get along too well, too much alike. Although Bob, when he started the abusive behavior with his children got caught on it (like Dad did in Kentucky) and he went through the classes DCFS (or whatever it’s called in California) and seemed to get better about it. He likes hunting, fishing, outdoor sports and feels he can get closer to God out there than in a chapel.

A story about Bob and I? What comes to mind first was he was trying to get me to fix his breakfast. I was about 13 years old. I was trying to get him to say the magic word. He wouldn’t. I refused to fix his breakfast. We had a physical fight. The mirror in the dining area got broke and one of the dining room chairs got broke. We had to pay for it. I had no money. I don’t remember how that worked out.
Then there’s me.

Then there’s Barbara (Barbara Jean Nelson). Blonde kinky curly hair, brown eyes, slight build. She was born the 29 of March 1956. Ever since she was 18 she’s had problems with her kidneys. But she is 49 this year and still going strong.
A story about Barbara and I? Oh, this is a bad one. We were very young, still in Kentucky. Mom had us napping on her bed. I was awake and so was Barbara. She grabbed Mom’s cigarette lighter and tried to make it work. I took it from her knowing it wasn’t something little kids should play with. Did I run and give it to Mommy? No. Dumb I was. So I showed her how it worked. I flicked it and the flame shot up and she was surprised and backed off. I saw her reaction and so put the flame close to her face and she reacted again. So I did it again closer, as if that would make the reaction more intense. Nope. Different reaction. I caught her hair on fire. Ever after, Mom not knowing the whole story; said I was so jealous of her beautiful kinky curly hair that I tried to burn it off. Okay. Whatever.

Then there’s Chipper (Curtis Flint Nelson). He was born the 28th of February 1958. Brown kinky curly hair, brown eyes, stocky build. I think he was going to grow taller than any of us.

A story about Chipper and I? Hmmm… That’s a hard one. He was having a hard time learning how to read. So his teacher and the principal of the school (Richard Boaden) decided to have an IQ test. He tested out just under genius and they were convinced if he could read he would have tested higher. So Mom worked with him. I think they had some Dr. Seuss books. He got better and better and then died before he ever got a chance to be tested again. Ain’t that just the way life is?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream