HOW DID YOU GET ENGAGED?

Uh, let’s see. It was our third date. We went to a pillow movie. Yeah, that’s what I thought too when I first heard it. But really, you just take a pillow or cushion so you can sit on a linoleum covered cement floor in a huge auditorium to watch a movie.

On the way over he kept talking in the car about a problem, didn’t know how to approach it, had to talk with a girl, serious matter, eternal consequences. I tried with talk to the Bishop, fast and pray. He had. Well, then talk with the girl.

Oh it was such a frustrating conversation. I asked if it was one of the girls from his family home evening group (he was the family home evening group father). Well, no and yet, she may be.

We went to the movie. I didn’t take a pillow or a cushion and wouldn’t use his pillow (he’d be sleeping on it that night and it just didn’t seem right). We watched, “The Mouse That Roared.” (1959, Comedy Adapted from Leonard Wibberley's satirical novel, the world's smallest country, the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, keeps their economy afloat by exporting their wine, Pinot Grand Fenwick, to America. When the state of California bottles a cheaper version, Pinot Grand Enwick, bankruptcy looms its ugly head for the tiny Duchy, so it decides to wage war against America. Peter Sellers adroitly plays three separate roles in this classic of comedic British cinema. “

After the movie we went back to his apartment so he could show me some things from his mission. There were some pictures; there was a ring box with rings in it, man they barely fit. He explained the eternity ring and pulled out the engagement ring. After he had it half way on my finger he paused and said, “May I?” I thought, ya know, I can go home, pray about it and if it isn’t right, it’s easier to break an engagement than get a divorce. So I said okay. Then he called his parents to tell them and to introduce me to them.

He took me home. I prayed. I prayed really hard. Every time I mentioned his name I got a really good feeling that I was doing the right thing. Every time I mentioned the name of Tim Holt I got a very dead feeling. I knew that for now, for 5, 10, 20 years from now, for the kids we would have, he was the right one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream