DESCRIBE A FAMILY VACATION

We (me as a child) never went on family vacations.

We (me as a parent) did go on a few. I’d rather tell the story of how we ended up getting camping gear.

David had gone down to Sears (downtown Provo-it’s now an RC Willey surplus outlet store) to pick up some tool or part we needed. He then promptly got side tracked. I was home with all 5 kids (that’s how many we had at the time). He was gone quite a while, but then it was one less kid to watch so it was okay.

He finally showed back up. He was in an unusually good mood. So when he said let’s go down to Sears, I want to show you something, I was positively interested yet a bit concerned. It would necessitate taking all 5 children down to Sears.

When we got down there he said oh let’s just walk around. No. You said you wanted to show me something, take me to it.

So we ended up in the sporting department. He had to show me this really cool tent (sleeps 8) and the bunk bed cots, and the nice pretty green with red lining sleeping bags, and the 2 burner Coleman camp stove, and….

He had everything picked out. Worse yet, he had it set aside. Worse than that he was going to open a charge account and charge it. I couldn’t tell him no. So I informed him that if he was going to have me going camping he’d better get used to the idea that I had to have an air mattress to sleep on. So we bought 2 of those as well.

Needless to say we had spent about $400 before we left. But we were now set for family vacations!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream