DESCRIBE A ‘SOUND’ FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD. WHAT WAS IT? WHEN YOU HEAR IT WHAT DOES IT BRING TO MIND?

The only sound that comes to mind was the shiny black vinyl records of music. It was like a library set. There were a couple records of classical, couple of big band and the ones that come back best and clearest to my memory were the records with the American folk songs on it. That’s where I learned the songs of childhood. Davy Crocket, This Old Man, Mother Goose Songs. These were my favorite and I never got tired of hearing them.

The other sound I remember is when daddy got home from work. He’d pull up out front and back into the driveway-always leaving the keys in the car (made it hard to lose them in the house). Besides that was the ‘old’ way of doing things, back before people stole cars. Often, even before we could hear him backing up the dogs (Sergeant and later Blackey and Queeney) would start barking/howling). These sounds always struck fear in me for many times I had heard mom say, “You just wait until your dad gets home.” And more often than I’d like to think, she meant it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream