Promise Kept

A promise made can bring all kinds of happiness and hope. It can also bring distrust, fear, and insecurity. When the promise is kept it brings more feelings of trust and security than anything else.

Little D was promised a trip to IKEA where he could spend his carrot money from last summer and buy himself a train set, just like his little brother Babers and just like his Grandpa (sometimes grumpy grandpa-he needs to eat more prunes to sweeten his attitude!) both have. Now he has his own!

I got off work early. Stopped to pick him up. They didn't want to let me have him. They said, "I don't recognize you. What is your name? How do you know his mommy?" They checked with the boss-"Did did his mommy call? Nope? I don't think so granny-unless there's a note here with special instructions. Ah. I see that there are special instructions. Okay then I guess we can let you check him out."

He was just a little chatterbox all the way up there.

Do you want to get something to eat? No. I'm not hungry. Okay, then let's go get that train. We went straight to it and then I asked again, do you want to get something to eat? No. I'm not hungry.

Okay then. We headed straight for the checkouts. As we were paying for the train the checker said, "Hey! I know you. I used to work at ____ and I was Teacher Meaghan. I know your mommy. She was expecting a little baby back then. Do you remember me?" All of this was so surprising. Even though there's been a good two years time, she remembers him. Even though he's at least half again as tall as he had been, she remembers him and remembers how sweet his mommy is.

After we paid for the train, we stopped to get some of their Cinnamon Rolls. They smell so good. He wasn't very interested in them, but then he saw the hot dogs and asked for one. So we bought two hot dogs. We found a table and chairs (Hey, says little D-this table is all shaky) and he blessed our food. He literally wolfed that dog down. While he was working on that he saw someone else walking by with a Cinnamon Roll on a napkin-Hey they have a Cinnamon Roll on a napkin. Yip, they sure do. Can I have one? Sure, after you finish your hot dog we'll split one.

Did this kid ever ask for a cinnamon roll before? Not that I recall-I don't even know if he'll like them or not. So he finishes his dog and the promised Cinnamon Roll is removed from the tin. I get two pieces torn off and he's wolfing it down-eating it like a kid would-smashing his face in at the top, taking bites full of frosting. Somehow I'm thinking I'm getting the short end of the stick.

Not so. I have 5 more in the pan and more than that, I have the pleasure of watching him be so happy, at peace, feeling safe and secure, and knowing his tummy has got to be full and now I believe that he is not hungry!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream