I Loved My PE Class

In Jr. High PE we wore a cute little white gym shirt-button or snap up the front with cap sleeves and white short shorts. That was the uniform. I don't remember who my mom got my hand me down from-she just did and it was great.

We had a cross-country track at my Jr. High. It was so awesome-went up through the scrub oak on the hillside for half the run. Once in a while we got to run it. I was never as fast as the rabbit-Stephanie. She was slight framed and fast-really fast. But I'd keep up with her. I'd get some scrapes on my legs but I wasn't slowing down for nothing-if she could do it, so could I. I had to force myself to do it. I was a bigger body frame and muscle mass than Stephanie. On the flat field she was always way ahead of me-but once we got into the briar patch-I was nipping on her heels.

One time that we were running the cross country track we had an assembly after class. I ran so hard to catch the rabbit that day-I think we actually had to run around the baseball field twice before the briar patch and then once again after. I was pushing myself so hard. When the run was over I had a really hard time catching my breath. I showered, changed, went to the assembly and was still having a hard time breathing. I was coughing-couldn't get it under control.

Looking back it may have been because both of my parents were heavy smokers and I was around it a lot. It's also possible that I have smaller than I need for my body mass bronchia and so can't get the oxygen exchange I need to push myself at that pace. I know that when I was in my early 30's and jogged 5 miles/day, I couldn't quite push myself that hard.

Why do I mention this now? Because some of my kids have inherited and some of my grandkids may inherit the same condition and they need to know that they can probably go to a doctor and get an inhaler and probably could push themselves harder. I've always loved running. Dang my knees and feet! Would that I could run now. The feeling of freedom, generating your own wind, ahhhh... I'd love a good run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream