DESCRIBE A TYPICAL SCHOOL DAY AS A CHILD IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.

A typical school day involved being hollered at to wake up or you’re going to be late. I’d jump out of bed, throw my school clothes on-there was always something on the floor I could wear, then stop at the kitchen to pick up my Velveeta cheese sandwich made on white bread and spread with Miracle Whip. Sometimes there was an apple. No breakfast was made or offered. And then it was time to dash off to school.

I never worried about the temperature. If it was hot, I walked slower. If it was cold I ran most of the way. School was about 5 blocks away. It was often overcast with a fog-not always at ground level but sufficient to feel overcast.

At school we’d start with the pledge of allegiance. In the younger grades there was a mid morning recess, noon recess, and mid afternoon recess.

I was in the slower reading group and through first and second grade I had a hard time getting the hang of adding and subtracting. Just because 2+3=5 this time didn’t mean that 3+2=5 was going to be the truth the next time. That’s what happens when you are teased so much as my dad used to tease me.

Sometimes on the way to school I’d be teased by other kids, sometimes on the way home, usually on the playground and if we were playing a team sport and had to choose teams-I was almost always the last one picked or nigh unto it. I sure learned a lot of empathy for the underdog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream