DESCRIBE YOUR COLLEGE AND ANY ROOMATES YOU HAD AND WHETHER YOU LIKED THEM OR NOT?

I went to college for one semester. I stood in the old field house with the dirt floor waiting in line after line. I didn’t know where I was coming, where I was going, what I wanted to study. I knew nothing. But I knew that I loved learning and I was glad to be able to go.

Besides, there were a lot of good looking guys there!

I lived with an older woman who just needed a companion. Mae Siepert. She was a tiny little lady. She told of a story about when she was a youth, about my age and how she was riding on a buckboard and it was going too fast, she fell off but her foot got caught in something and she was drug for quite a ways before they could get the buckboard stopped. She was quite injured from it and with the medical prowess of the day; the doctor had said she wouldn’t live. But she did. Boy was I glad for it. She was a great lady. She lived in a little brown cabin set back from the road, across from a large city park. I walked her to Church on Sundays. I was a Junior Sunday School Teacher on Sunday. I loved it. This was back before the block schedule.

Roommates: I couldn’t stand Claudia Gotshall, Corvalis, OR. She tried so hard to manipulate, control and rule the roost. She would carefully explain to you what the ‘problem’ was with each one in the apartment. I hated such people. I still do. I was put in the room with Mary Rushlow, Vermont. She was a new convert of about a year longer than I. She wanted me to know plainly what these other Saints were doing. So after Claudia had talked with me, Mary talked with me (I think it was about a day later.) I listened and said nothing. I asked a few questions for further clarification.

It was decided since there were 2 with a car, and since the better/economical place to shop was 20 miles away in Idaho Falls (Storehouse Market), each roommate should put in $5/week for groceries and the ones with the car would make up the shopping list (they listed things that Mary didn’t want to eat-she wanted fruits, vegetables, and healthy foods), and they would do the shopping, they also used some of the grocery money for gas. I put in the $5/week and listened to Mary whine.

After about a month of this Claudia started complaining again and I stood up to her.

Judy Roadhouse was another roomie. She was from Loveland, CO. She palled around with Claudia, but I’m not convinced she agreed with her. I think Judy was trying to just get along.


Then I went to college for 4 1/2 years-after I was 50 years old. My roommate was my husband and various DCFS teen boys we foster parented. I joined Phi Theta Kappa, Jr. college International Honor Society-the Alpha Sigma Theta chapter. I served as the VP of service. We did service projects for Ronald McDonald House dwellers and for the Primary Children's Medical Center (got the best response, support, and turnout for this project). Was on the Dean's list every semester I was a full time student. Was invited by a professor to TA a class-twice and to substitute a lab when the teacher was in Hawaii teaching a seminar. Loved the whole learning experience and learned quite poignantly that the young college student has a lot more respect for the older non-traditional student than most of the professors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream