WHERE DID YOUR GRANDPARENTS LIVE? WHAT WAS THEIR HOME LIKE? DID IT HAVE A CERTAIN SMELL OR LOOK OR FEEL?

Grandma and Grandpa Nelson lived in Solvang, California and later moved to “Leisure World” in Chula Vista, California. Their home, both places, looked like an Ethan Allen showroom. She had ceramic butterflies (about 3 or 4 of them) on her coffee table in the front room. Most of the furniture in each living area had pretty little dust collectors on them. I don’t remember a particular smell. I don’t remember noticing things like that. It felt stiff and proper-don’t touch-just sit and be still.

Grandpa Flint owned a gun shop in Louisville, Kentucky. He repaired and sold rifles and pistols. He lived in his shop. I spent the night with him once, a treasured memory, yet I remember nothing specific about it. I was about 4 years old and it was a very small shop and I felt it was a cluttered shop. It had a funny smell to it; my guess is that it smelled like gun oil, although I think I was a bit young to know that smell. It felt like love. I felt welcome there.

Grandma Flint lived in an upstairs apartment or condo-she may have bought it and maybe wasn’t renting it, in Long Beach, California. It was a small apartment; I believe the bed folded down out of a closet into the living area. It wasn’t just a studio apartment because the tiny kitchen/dining area had a wall that divided it from the front door and living area and unless you had walked across to the farthest wall from the front door, you couldn’t see the kitchen sink. You could walk down a 4 foot hall to the bathroom (on the left), behind the wall/closet which held the bed, and on the right was a storage area; perhaps it was 5 feet wide by about 10 feet long. She had boxes of stuff-probably fabric and yarn-back there.

The apartment was well organized, and simply decorated, obviously by a lady. Her bathroom was all in pink.

I felt welcome there and enjoyed the times we could visit. I don’t recall a particular smell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream