DESCRIBE A TYPICAL DAY DURING YOUR JR. HIGH YEARS

This was an interesting time in my life. I was maturing between the kid who had to ask, “Mommy may I breathe?” to the adult who could say, “Mommy I’ve finished my chores and want to go to spend a couple hours at the beach.”

During the wschool year, Paula Westcott and her dad would pick me up and take me to school. At school, nearly every day she would buy me a sweet roll. They were huge, frosted, sweet and nummy. And for someone who hadn’t had breakfast-they hit the spot. Didn’t care if I didn’t have milk with it-just was great to get the sweet roll. So I guess we got there about a20 minutes before school started because there was plenty of time for it.

There are a few things I want to mention about those days. Mr. Cudney (my 7th grade science teacher) gave me a Yearbook, so I could sign other students and they could sign mine. The next year Mr. Parker (my Spanish teacher) talked me into being on yearbook staff. Also in the 7th grade my first Spanish teacher, a single young lady, was in a car accident over the holidays and ended up dieing from internal injuries. So there was a rocky start to the year.

A typical day? Oh, I hate to admit it, but I used to have crushes on all the ‘cute’ (at least to me) guys. I don’t know if they ever knew I had a crush. I didn’t act on it, nor did I try to effect any associations because of them. The crush would change from month to month. John Arden had the most beautiful sparkly blue eyes, and smiled so much. There were others, can’t remember them all.

Another typical Jr. High day experience was working in the cafeteria so I could get a free lunch. Good food. One of the lunch ladies (older and widowed or divorcee) was impressed enough with me as a worker that she had me come over to her place during the summer and help her do some cleaning. I enjoyed doing that.

Summer days consisted of getting up whenever, doing my chores (all of them) and then eating lunch (usually toast with butter, or a grilled cheese sandwich), working in the garden and then walking to the beach (a couple blocks away) and spending hours walking on the beach or swimming, body surfing, looking for sea shells. Then going home, fixing dinner, doing dishes, and staying up late at night watching old black and white movies while playing card games with my Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream