Do you recall any outstanding family trips or Summer holidays you experienced as a child?

No. We didn’t go on family trips or summer holidays. We took no vacations as a family.

The closest event to this question was when we moved from Kentucky to California. Of that I remember a bit about the train ride. Our stuff was being driven out by the Mayflower moving company. On the train, between cars (going into the dining car), while the train was moving, we had to wait in line and for a while we were in that area between cars, but they had put up some kind of a platform and makeshift walls to protect passengers from the elements and I would suppose to keep any from suicide jumpers from taking advantage of the railroad insurance company. I could see the ground rushing past and was kind of freaked about it. Hey, I was four years old, I didn’t know any better.

We lived in Seal Beach for a short while. It was near where Grandma Flint lived (in Long Beach). Bobby brought milk home he ‘found’ outside (it was a milk delivery order at one of the other apartments) and had to take it back. We got our pictures taken as a family one day-the photographer had set up his lights and backdrop somewhere near the apartments. Mom was all fussy trying to get everyone to look just right. I understand now-once the shutter snaps-you’re stuck with the results. I started the day off wrong for her as through the night I was dreaming-it was a vivid dream-that I had gotten up, gone to the bathroom, and was sitting on the toilet and was emptying my bladder. Imagine my embarrassment when I woke up and realized I had wet the bed. It was the only time I had.

I went for a walk with my dad on the beach and we came across the carcass of a seal. That was interesting.

We moved to Buellton and lived in a motel that Grandma and Grandpa Nelson owned. That has an interesting story too, well a couple of them. One about a baby mouse I caught in Goleta when we went fishing, one about a magpie bird dad caught and was trying to teach to talk, and one about the field behind the motel (which I’m still embarrassed about).

Then we moved to Santa Barbara. On that drive down, the car was so loaded down and Bob and I were in the back seat. I don’t know where Barbara and Chipper were, I think they were in someone else’s car (like Grandma and Grandpa Nelson’s). But you couldn’t see Bob and I because there was so much stuff piled under our legs, between us on the seat and on top of our laps. I don’t recall being able to see out the side window much either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD SONGS

The Measure of a Man

A Cerulean Blue Ice Cream